The mission of Campus Safety and Emergency Management is to provide a safe and secure environment for our entire college community. This encompasses all students, faculty, staff, and everyone that visits our campus.
Clery Act / Campus Safety Report
The College, in compliance with the Clery Act, publishes an Annual Campus Safety Report that details campus safety efforts and prevention measures as well as crime statistics.
Read more about the Clery Act, Clery Reporting, and view previous year safety reports HERE.
Download a copy of the 2017 Annual Campus Safety Report (PDF).
RAVE Emergency Management Alerts
The college uses the RAVE alert system to notify community members of any emergencies or school delays/closings. Periodically the college may need to send an notification to all community members to inform them of an emergency or crisis situation, or more commonly school delays and closings due to weather. Please make sure your contact information is consistently updated in RAVE to continue to get the alerts.
To ensure that you get this important information on time, please complete the following steps:
- Go to https://www.getrave.com/login/bfit
- Your username is your BFIT email address
for faculty and staff: firstname.lastname@example.org
for students: email@example.com
- Click the Forgot Password Link and an auto-generated email with password reset link will be emailed to your BFIT email address
- Using this link, log into the Rave system and update your password and complete the registration process.
- Confirm and register any mobile devices and email addresses on which you would like to receive notifications in the event of school closing, delays, and other emergencies. Please note that if you elect to receive notifications via phone and text, standard text and voice fees will apply as outlined by your contract.
It is important to note that this system will only be used to broadcast winter closings/delays and other emergencies. Should you, at any time, change your e-mail address, cell phone number or mobile provider, you will need to update your Rave account as outlined above.
How to Report an Incident
The Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology and Campus Security strongly encourages any victim of or a witness to a crime occurring on or near the College—regardless of its nature—to report the incident immediately to Campus Security to ensure that prompt and appropriate action can be taken.
Crimes occurring off campus should be reported to the local law enforcement agency having proper jurisdiction. If you are unsure of the proper jurisdiction, contact Campus Security and they will assist you in contacting the proper agency.
Campus Security Phone Number - 617-588-1355 can receive calls or texts in the case of an emergency
If you are off-campus or out of the jurisdiction of BFIT Campus Security, please contact 911 immediately
Campus Security Authority
“Campus security authority” is term that encompasses four groups of individuals and organizations associated with an institution.
- A campus police department or a campus security department of an institution. If your institution has a campus police or security department, those individuals are campus security authorities. A security department can be as small as one person.
- Any individual or individuals who have responsibility for campus security but who do not constitute a campus police department or a campus security department (e.g., an individual who is responsible for monitoring the entrance into institutional property). Include individuals who provide security at a campus parking kiosk, monitor access into a campus facility, act as event security or escort students around campus after dark.
- Any individual or organization specified in an institution’s statement of campus security policy as an individual or organization to which students and employees should report criminal offenses. If you direct the campus community to report criminal incidents to anyone or any organization in addition to police or security-related personnel, that individual or organization is a campus security authority.
An official of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including, but not limited to, student housing, student discipline and campus judicial proceedings. An official is defined as any person who has the authority and the duty to take action or respond to particular issues on behalf of the institution.
The function of a campus security authority is to report to the official or office designated by the institution to collect crime report information, such as the campus police or security department, those allegations of Clery Act crimes that he or she concludes were made in good faith.
||Manager Campus Security
||Assistant Dean of Students
Director of Emergency Management
||Dean of Students
||Assistant Director of Student Life
||Assistant Athletic Director
Head Basketball Coach
||Title IX Coordinator
Instructional Technology Librarian
||Director of Human Resources
||Director of Student Wellness and Support
Thomas Gocking, Manager of Campus Security