You are here:
Published Date:14 Nov 2018
At the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, transportation is not about roads, bridges, trains, and buses – it’s about people. Our mission begins with customers and our partners - individuals, businesses, municipalities, and regional transit agencies. We support programs and projects that deliver a high return on investment. MassDOT supports the economy, quality of life, and environmental goals of the Commonwealth.
MassDOT interns have the chance to work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the state. Duties include going on site visits, working on exciting and significant projects, and delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on transportation in the Commonwealth. The internship also provides an opportunity to network with professionals across the state.
The Engineering Internship Program typically runs 12 weeks from June through the end of August. Students must commit to a full-time schedule for the internship period.
Engineering interns will be assigned throughout the Highway Division and may assist MassDOT engineers in the following areas:
• Preparing plans, designs, specifications, and cost estimates for highway and bridge construction or maintenance projects.
• Providing data for the preparation of engineering or environmental reports and studies.
• Performing calculations such as those related to survey, traffic forecasting, soil capacity, groundwater flow, and quantity of materials.
• Analyzing changes in scope of work during design and/or construction of projects.
• Conducting field investigations in order to gather information needed to resolve construction, maintenance, environmental, or traffic problems.
• Reviewing applications for licenses or permits for the transportation of materials and for the construction of projects.
• Reviewing construction and service contract payment estimates and/or invoices for materials, equipment, and supplies.
• Inspecting construction operations, such as drainage, steel placement, paving, or concrete to ensure work is being performed according to specifications.
• Inspecting maintenance work, such as highway landscaping and repaving operations.
• Performing related duties such as writing memoranda, letters, or general reports; collecting and correlating engineering data; maintaining records; and operating technical equipment.
• Geocode- pull, redact, and analyze crash data to assist with evaluation of high crash locations and assist with performance of Road Safety Audits.
• Environmental compliance and permitting; including groundwater, stormwater, air, noise, wetlands, wildlife, climatology, hazardous materials, and waste.
• Assists in the biennial inspecti
•At the time of hire, applicants must have completed 2 years of a bachelor's degree in a related engineering field.
•Applicants must be enrolled full time in a degree program for the Fall 2019.
All job applications must be submitted online through MassCareers to be considered. If you need an accommodation to complete the application electronically, please contact the ADA Coordinator, Rita DiNunzio, at 857-368-8738.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Notification We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Students and alumni will be accepted and assigned to job opportunities and otherwise treated without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability, as well as other classifications protected by applicable state or local laws.
Name of Company:
Massachusetts Department of Transportation
Contact Person Title:
Human Resources Specialist II
Type of Position:
Location of Position:
Position Start Date:
$16 per hour
Average Hours Per Week:
Minimum Degree Required: