You are here:
Published Date:14 Sep 2017
For 118 years, The Animal Rescue League of Boston (ARL) has responded to the needs of animals and the people who care about them. In fact, we are often the first to respond. With over 520 dedicated volunteers and 100 staff members, ARL lends unwavering support to local animals, families, and neighborhoods.
We provide outstanding veterinary care, adoption, and rescue services. We also confront the root causes of animal cruelty and neglect through special police investigation and advocacy aimed at strengthening the laws that protect animals. Last year alone, we served more than 17,800 animals in need.
Today, we increasingly focus on prevention and the impact we can have on more animals; keeping them out of shelters and in the communities where they belong. This ambitious call to action is reflected in our new vision for the future.
ARL does not receive any government or public funding and relies solely on the generosity of compassionate individuals to carry out our important work to help animals and communities in need.
This is a non-exempt, 40 hour per week position responsible for the maintenance duties and grounds upkeep at the Boston campus. The Facilities & Grounds Engineer (Engineer) is responsible for the daily monitoring of the entire ARL Boston campus for the purposes of maintaining a clean, appealing and safe environment. At times, this position may be physically demanding and considered heavy strenuous work.
The Engineer will ensure safe operation and upkeep of equipment associated with the campus. Oversee landscaping and other contractors that the ARL outsources to ensure scope fulfillment and the quality of work that meets or exceeds management’s expectations. Proactively identify potential maintenance issues, rectify such issues and or report them to the supervisor when necessary.
The Engineer must be able to:
• work with minimum supervision and high accountability;
• maintain a current driver’s license, be insurable through the ARL and maintain a good driving record;
• conduct him/herself with the highest of ethical standards and integrity, be of good moral character and maintain an even disposition;
• be flexible with regard to the duties and responsibilities that best fit the current and future needs of the ARL.
This position will require overtime availability including, but not limited to; on-call, nights, weekends and holidays. As needed, this position may also be required to provide maintenance services to other ARL locations such as Dedham and Brewster as requested. Scheduled shift hours will be Monday through Friday, 7:30-4:00, with a ½ hour lunch which may also be subject to change depending on department needs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Minor plumbing
• Minor carpentry
• Common maintenance repairs
• HVAC filter changes
• Disposal of trash, cleaning, sweeping and raking
• Snow plowing, shoveling, snow blower operation and ice treatment applications
• Landscaping and grounds maintenance
• High School graduate, Bachelor’s degree or equivalent preferred.
• Five years’ experience in all noted responsibilities as noted above.
• At least two years’ experience in lawn care and landscaping experience.
• Snow plow experience preferred.
• Capable of lifting seventy (70) pounds.
• Meet the requirements of operating vehicles and being insurable by the ARL.
• Possess the ability to identify, evaluate and rectify problems using sound judgement.
• Professionalism and strong interpersonal skills along with the ability to multi-task.
• Provide quality customer service in a compassionate manner.
• Maintain a neat and professional appearance while wearing ARL issued attire.
• Complete a ninety (90) day orientation, trial and training period.
Please submit a letter of interest and resume to the attention of
Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org (include the job title in your email subject line).
Equal Opportunity Notification We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Students and alumni will be accepted and assigned to job opportunities and otherwise treated without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability, as well as other classifications protected by applicable state or local laws.
Name of Company:
Animal Rescue League of Boston
Contact Person Title:
Director of Human Resources
Type of Position:
Location of Position:
Position Start Date:
Average Hours Per Week:
Minimum Degree Required:
High School or GED