How to Apply for Financial Aid
In order to apply for Federal and State financial aid, the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) needs to be completed. BFIT does not require any additional applications! Financial aid awards are not renewed automatically. The FAFSA must be completed every academic year.
We recommend that applications be filed electronically by visiting the FAFSA website. By completing the FAFSA online, it will save you a significant amount of processing time and dramatically reduce the number of errors commonly found on the form.
For First-Time Electronic Applicants:
Go to the FAFSA website
- Parent/s and students must create an FSA ID to electronically sign the FAFSA. FSA ID can be created at www.fsaid.ed.gov.
- Follow the instructions on the FAFSA website.
- List Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology or our school code (002151) as one of the schools to receive a financial aid award package.
- Sign the FAFSA electronically by using your FSA ID, or by mailing the signed signature page to the federal processors. The signature page is available for printing at the end of the FAFSA application.
Renewal Electronic Applicants;
Go to the FAFSA website
- Follow the instructions on the website.
- List Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology or use our school code (002151) as one of the schools to receive a financial aid award package.
- Sign the FAFSA electronically by using your FSA ID or by mailing the signed signature page to the processors. The signature page is available for printing at the end of the FAFSA.
Applicants should receive a Federal Student Aid Report (SAR) from the federal processors, 3-4 weeks after the FAFSA has been filed. The SAR indicates the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which is used to determine eligibility for federal and state financial aid. It also lists the information recorded on the FAFSA. We will receive your information electronically from the federal processor. If BFIT is not listed, please call the federal processor at 1-800-433-3243, or use your FSA ID to make a correction at the FAFSA website.
Follow up with our office. We may need to request further documentation from you and/or your family. If further information is needed, a written notification will go out to you in the mail. It is the student's responsibility to respond promptly to the document request. We are not able to continue the processing of your financial aid application if the requested documents are not provided.
An Award Package will arrive in the mail once we have completed reviewing your application. In order to decline any portion of the award, a signed copy of the award letter indicating what is being declined should be returned to the Financial Aid Office. For more information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-588-1368.