Frequently Asked Questions & Upcoming Dates
What does placement consist of?
All first time freshmen must complete a Placement Assessment upon acceptance to the College to be registered for classes. This is an untimed assessment used to place incoming students in appropriate levels of Math and English. Students are allotted up to 3 hours in one session to complete two components:
- MATH consists of a web-based placement exam, ACCUPLACER, covering topics in Arithmetic and Elementary Algebra
- The ENGLISH contains two assessments that are completed with ACCUPLACER. One focuses on reading comprehension, and the other focuses on writing skills and sentence structure.
Transfer students who wish to transfer credits from an outside institution must submit official college transcripts and should contact the office of admissions to determine if taking the Placement Assessment is required.
How do I prepare for the ACCUPLACER?
Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology’s Placement Staff recommend you take some time to review before coming in for your placement assessment. There are various ways to prepare:
What do I need to bring with me to complete placement?
A Positive Attitude. All required materials will be provided to you prior to the assessment, including paper and a writing utensil. Outside calculators are not allowed. Cell phones and other electronics should not be used to assist anyone in completing any section of the assessment.
Do I have to register?
To best accommodate all incoming students, please utilize one of the following methods to register:
- Register online at www.bfit.edu Admissions & Aid>Application Process>Placement Testing Information>Placement Testing Form.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, intended major, and preferred placement date.
- Speak to a member of the admissions staff by calling 617-588-1368.
How do I request special accommodations?
For students who may have had accommodations through an IEP or 504 plan in high school, we offer placement accommodations. Anyone seeking accommodations for placement testing should submit a current evaluation and/or IEP documentation to the Assistant Director of Student Success and accommodation arrangements will be made.
Upcoming placement dates
Please plan to arrive on time for your appointment! If you arrive more than 30 minutes late, you may be denied admissions.
Saturday, June 15th, 9am
Tuesday, June 18th, 9am
Wednesday, June 19th, 1pm
Thursday, June 20th, 9am
Tuesday, June 25th, 9am
Wednesday, June 26th, 1pm