The Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology is the only college in MA that offers degree programs in Opticianry. The Associate of Science in Opticianry program is fully supported by the Opticians Association of Massachusetts and serves as the educational gateway for students of all ages, including adult learners and apprentice opticians. With a vibrant optical industry and continued need for qualified eye-care professionals, there is tremendous opportunity for technically skilled and highly knowledgeable opticians.Many graduates of the Opticianry program seek advanced degrees and/or certification related to business, management, ophthalmic technology, and healthcare management.
The optical industry is experiencing great growth, as well as expanded regulations and increasing requirements for becoming a licensed optician in Massachusetts.
What you will learn:
- Design, fit and dispense prescription glasses and contact lenses
- Utilize and operate all forms of ophthalmic devices and instrumentation
- Inspect/verify eyewear for optical precision, proper fit and aesthetics
- Evaluate and troubleshoot patients' concerns
- Preparation for MA licensing and both national and local certification exams
The optical profession itself offers great diversity and versatility. Graduates will be able to work in many different setting ranging from HMO/medical offices to retail/high fashion optical boutiques, optical chains to independent ownership. Graduates will be qualified for positions involving spectacle design and dispensing, contact lens design and dispensing, optical laboratory finishing and management, optical business management or independent ownership.
- Graduation Rate: 92%
- ABO Pass Rate: 93%
- NCLE Pass Rate: 95%
- Employment of Graduates: 99.5%